Brexit for Yacht Crew

February 2, 2021in Crew Tips

How long can I stay in Europe?

If you are seeking for a job in Europe, you are allowed to stay 90 days out of a total global amount of time of 180 days.

If you are looking for a land-based job, if you want to study, or travel longer than 90 days, you will need a visa or a work permit.


To be able to travel to a European country:

· Your passport must have at least 6 months remaining validity before travelling, and must be less than 10 years old.

· You have to show a proof of evidence of a return or onward ticket and enough money in order to be allowed to stay in the EU countries.

· You will have to use separate lanes from EU, EEA, and Swiss citizens while queuing at the customs

Working on a yacht

If you are a UK citizen working on a yacht in Europe, you do not need any Schengen Visa (unlike people from any other non EU country), but you can only stay in the country for 90 consecutive days out of a total global allowance of 180 days.

As there is no official document on this specific topic, we believe that the days spent on board are not counted in the 90 days allowance. Only are counted the days spent ashore (like it is for the crew members holding a Schengen Visa).

Health Insurance

If you already have a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC), you can still travel to any EU countries (but make sure that you are properly covered if you go to Switzerland, Iceland, Norway or Liechtenstein and get an appropriate travel insurance).

If you want to get a new EHIC including the countries mentioned, you need to be:

  1. A UK student studying in the EU
  2. A British state pensioner who is living in the EU with your family
  3. An EU national/ citizen living in the UK

Seafarers Earning Deduction (SED)

There is currently no discussion within the UK Government to change or remove the SED.

If you wish to have further and detailed explanation in regards to the new legislation, feel free to check the UK Government’s website.